2.05.2014

Squash Primavera with Cilantro

We are snowed in, so naturally I'm getting creative in the kitchen. I made up these...ummm...what should I call them...well, I used Mexican rice, they have a freshness that reminds me of spring, let's call them...Squash Primavera. The results were really wonderful. I try to only share really wonderful recipes on here, but even I was impressed. I am not a huge squash fan, but these were delish! I ate every bit, especially the soft cooked squash, and what's more, so did my husband and teenage son.



Here's what you'll need:
2 winter squash
1 box Mexican rice (or rice of your choice)
1 bundle cilantro
1 bundle green onions
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
Salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste


Directions:  
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cut squash in half.

These beauties were grown locally.

 3. Scoop out the seeds. Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.


3. Bake the squash cut side down for 25 minutes.


4.  Meanwhile prepare rice. Add in fresh cut cilantro, green onions, and a can of rotel tomatoes (drained.) Mix it all up.


5.  Take the squash out of the oven when they are soft and the sides are starting to brown. Fill with cheddar cheese, rice mixture, and top with a little more cheddar cheese.


6. Put back in the oven until the cheese melts on top. (10ish minutes)


These are hearty enough to stand on their own as an entree. Serve with a delicious cesar or fresh fruit salad.  Tell your children to eat them as you would a bread bowl of soup.

Happy eating, KFW


Thank you for stopping by. Since you are here, please take half a second to click here and vote for us on Top Mommy Blogs. You can vote every time you stop by. All you have to do is click the juggling momma on the right side bar. Thanks, Friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...