Most of you know we’re new subscription members with our local community-based grocer, The Root Cellar. Each week we pick up our box of local farm and food products. In addition to supporting local farmers, this program is putting new (delicious) ingredients into our pantry and fridge. Having some new things on hand is contributing to my creativity in the kitchen. These wonderful muffins contain root cellar peaches, peach butter, and farm fresh yogurt.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (or ½ teaspoon baking powder)
1 large egg
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (the yogurt makes them SO moist)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1 peach, diced
2 tablespoons peach butter OR raspberry jam
Long-time readers know that Chris is the baker in our relationship. I’m a pretty skilled cook, but baking usually requires too much attention to the directions for my style... This morning though, I really wanted an oven fresh muffin…
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Sift the remaining dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the egg to the butter mixture and blend until combined.
- Add 1/4 cup yogurt to the butter mixture, then half of the dry ingredients, mixing and repeating with the remaining yogurt and remaining dry ingredients until the batter is combined.
- Fold in the whole raspberries, peach pieces and jam until evenly mixed. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tops are slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.Serve with cream cheese, peach butter or jam.Hot fruit muffins are like dessert, dessert that is okay to have for breakfast.The results? My two-year old gave me a hug and said, “Momma, I love these muffins!” I call that a win.Enjoy, KFW