Refrigerator fruit & oats are fantastic. You make them up the night before, flavoring them with the fruit and sweeteners of your choice. In the morning grab them to go on your way out. Refrigerator fruits & oats are low fat, packed with protein, fiber, calcium, and enough sweetness to keep you going until lunch.
Rolled oats (easy to buy in bulk. Do not get instant oats.)
Greek Yogurt (I use mostly vanilla, but blended fruit flavors can add a nice dimension too)
Milk (We've been enjoying 2% milk from a local farm lately, but skim would work too)
Dried chia seeds
Choose Two (or three, it's your kitchen)
Fruit (blueberries, mangos, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, you name it)
Raisins (or dried cranberries)
Sweeteners/flavor enhancers (honey, cinnamon, coccoa powder, PB2)
Lately we've been loving vanilla yogurt, blueberries, and raisins.
1. In a half pint jar combine: 1/3 cup rolled oats, and 1.5 teaspoons dried chia seeds. Shake it up.
2. Add fruit, rasins, or sweetners. Give it another shake.
3. Add 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
4. Pour on 1/3 cup milk. Slide a butter knife down the side to make room for the milk if needed. Shake it up again.
5. If you have extra room add a couple more pieces of fruit.
6. Refrigerate overnight. (No cooking required. It's magic.)
Tip: Do not overfill. You want all the oats soft and delicious.
Thank you for stopping by. Since you are here, please take half a second to click here and vote for us on Top Mommy Blogs. You can vote every time you stop by. All you have to do is click the juggling momma on the right side bar.