1.20.2014

On MLK Day 2014

My son and I enjoyed a quiet breakfast this morning. Sunlight poured in through the window. James was enjoying his soy milk and reading a new book. I was sipping my vanilla latte and working on an article on education.  We both appreciated the day off together, just the two of us.  In a little while we planned to go for a long run, but for now we were enjoying the quiet. That's when I came across this photo:



This is a picture of my very first class. They were a group of terrific first graders who taught me a about hope, love, and the power of high expectations. Those of you who know our story, know this is also the class that brought James to us.

Today, I am grateful for the lessons of children, for the work of my grandmother (and other civil rights activists), for the way warmth matters in a classroom, and for the way that love made us a family.


In the fitting words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

With hope, KFW

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/martinluth101472.html#utOW9PZssVIB4ZXy.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...