12.29.2013

A Soup Story: Stick to your bones, beef and veggie soup

It’s hard to follow a recipe for soup. Soup is more of a story than a list. It changes based on the weather and the status of my pantry. That said, I like a food story, and the stories simmering in other people’s soup pots are often...rich. This soup will stick to your bones and warm your soul. 




Phase 1 (ideally following Sunday brunch)


2lbs of beef cut in bite size chunks or stew meat
12 baby carrots (Diced)
12 small red potatoes (Diced. I leave the peels on)
1 big onion (Diced)
1 head of garlic (Cut cloves in nice size pieces.)
2 lbs of beef stock
2ish cups of spicy V8
Pepper generously


Cook on low 2-3 hours


Phase 2 (after a couple hours of reading or chores about the house)


Add a bunch of celery (chopped)
Add a couple more cups of Spicy V8
Add a can of rotel diced tomatoes and green chilis (don’t drain)


You could combine phase one and two, but since we were hanging around the house on a chilly Sunday, I broke it up into phases, so I could give my soup a little extra attention. Soup is a little like a teenager, mostly okay on its own, but still in need of frequent check-ins, regular sustenance, and a little extra love.



Phase 2.5


After a bit we decided to run some errands. I wasn’t sure how long we were going to be gone so I thought just to be safe I’d add:


1 bag of frozen corn
1 bag of frozen peas
2ish cups of beef broth
Another generous dash of pepper.


Then, I covered the soup, you can think of it as tucking in your dinner. We took our teenager and our toddler and braved the big, cold world together. Thank goodness we all knew there was hot soup waiting for us at home.


Phase 3


When we got back from running errands (a few hours later) I woke the soup up with:
2ish more cups of Spicy V8 juice
1 more can of rotel diced tomatoes (with juice)
3ish cups of little elbow noodles
A few good shakes of salt and pepper


I turned the heat to medium. I preheated the oven for some crispy garlic bread.




Phase 4

Dinner


Forty minutes later my parents and sister joined us for dinner and cards. The soup warmed us to the core. Most people had seconds and we still have lots left for the week.


We followed dinner with leftover Christmas cookies--delicious. 

Stay cozy, KFW


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...