3.07.2013

The Thankfulness Challenge, A Guest Post by Kelsey Harper

I am running an empowerment group for gifted high school girls. At our meeting last month, I challenged the girls to keep daily gratitude journals. I shared that in my family we keep a thankfulness journal that we update each night at dinner. My student Kelsey shared that she and her family have adopted the same practice. I asked her if she would write something about it. Here’s what she had to say: 

I have a wonderful life. I have parents who love me, amazing friends, and a cozy house. I can eat when I’m hungry, and I have the right to a great education, but I’m not always happy. Moodiness is like the calling card of the teenage years. We get a bad rep from books, movies, and TV shows for being short sighted, and moderately bipolar. But I don’t think this is a fair assessment of teenagers. I think we just haven’t had enough experience to appreciate our lives, so we overreact when small things go wrong. In the hopes of becoming a happier, less moody teen, over the past month I have tried an interesting experiment. I kept track of three things each day I was thankful for. Every night at dinner I would think back through my day and choose. Some days it was hard to pick from the many things I was thankful for; on others it was hard to find three great things, but it was those days that made me really appreciate the small stuff.

I am thankful for my brother, for making me laugh from halfway across the country. I am thankful for the residents of Southampton Nursing Home for teaching me patience, and new card games. I am thankful for hair ties for keeping all of my hair outa my face. I am thankful for cuddling, scarves, warm socks, and sweaters. I’m thankful I have a healthy family, and music to uplift my spirits. 
 
As I continued this experiment it got harder and harder to narrow down the things I was thankful for to just three. Now everyday as little things happen I try to make mental notes so I can remember to be thankful for specific things at dinner, but life is too full of wonderful things to remember them all. When I started this I thought it would be the exact opposite; I gave myself two weeks until I would run out of things to be thankful for. But, even on the worst days, when I make an effort to remember the small things people do for me, it can turn my thinking around 180 degrees and suddenly become the best day of my life. 

I am thankful for hand-me-down clothes for being free, soft, and already broken in. I am thankful for rainy days for cleaning the earth and helping things grow, and I am thankful for gentlemen, and volunteers for restoring my faith in humanity. I am thankful for this experiment for making every morning the start to the new best day of my life. I never want that feeling to go away.


Do you keep a gratitude journal? Research shows that a regular practice in thankfulness is one of the best ways to increase your happiness. 


Thanks for stopping by. Since your here, please take a half a second to click here and vote for us on Top Mommy Blogs. You can vote every time you stop by by clicking the juggling momma on the right side bar. Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...