6.07.2012

Sauceless Salami Pizza

Thanks to Lauren, the friendly teenage checker girl at Hyvee for this recipe!

Warning: this recipe feels a little like a Hyvee ad, oh well, it's really tasty.  When I was grocery shopping a few weeks ago I bought a block of asiago salsa cheese (mmm). Lauren, my checker, was even more excited about my cheese purchase than I was.

"Oh my gosh, you should make pizza with this cheese. My mom and I make my absolute favorite pizza with this cheese. It's really easy too, you just need roma tomatoes, basil, an artesian crust from our pizza counter, salami, and olive oil. You don't even need sauce. The roma tomatoes are so good on it. Here I'll write it down for you."

And she did on a rain-check card with a smile.  I loved how happy she was thinking about making this pizza with her mom.

Yesterday, when I was grocery shopping again, I remembered Lauren and decided I would get together the ingredients for her favorite pizza. I went to the bakery and asked about this artesian crust. The baker had no idea what I was talking about, but suggested I try the pizza counter. At the pizza counter I asked if I could just buy a crust.  Another enthusiastic employee came bounding out from behind the counter and explained their two crusts. I asked her for a big Tuscan crust. 10 minutes and $2 later she was back with my fresh rolled crust and her own favorite recipe for the crust. Now, I was getting excited.

Ingredients:



1 thin pizza crust. If possible, get the Hyvee Tuscan thin crust. Did I mention, it's only $2
3-4 roma tomatoes
I medium block of asiago salsa cheese
10-12 fresh basil leaves
olive oil
salt
Parmesan/Romano cheese 
Olives (optional: we used pitted Kalmata, plain old black or green could also be good)

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 400. Brush bottom of crust with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.


2. Grate asiago cheese.



3. Top crust with cheese and chopped roma tomatoes.


4. Add fresh basil. 



5. Top with salami and olives (if using olives.
6. Finish with a few sprinkles of Parmesan or Romano.


7. Bake at 400 for about 13 minutes.


Enjoy! 

Thanks for the recipe Lauren. We'll definitely be making this again. The real secret though, is that fantastic $2 crust. I see even more pizza recipes in our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...